Showing Your Home
Listing your home with a Real Estate Agent gives you maximum exposure so you can sell your home quickly! The Multiple Listing Service allows your home to be shown to all Real Estate Agents and their potential buyers.
These days open houses are in the past! Buyers now use an agent to show them your home in a safe manner for all parties.
It is important to allow potential buyers to walk through your home without you or your family present. You want them to feel relaxed and to take the time to really see the features of your property. Feedback is essential when selling your home and potential buyers may not want to communicate their feelings to their Real Estate Agents if you are home.
Here are some general tips to help you prepare for showings:
- Attend to any potential hazards – electrical wires crossing open areas, sharp table or countertop corners, slippery stairs and walkways, fragile items that can be easily damaged.
- Lock away or remove valuables such as jewellery, cameras and currency.
- Avoid cooking food with strong odours such as fish. The scent of fresh-brewed coffee, homemade bread and cookies can be very welcoming.
- In poor weather, provide a place for overshoes, boots, umbrellas and coats.
The smallest details can really distract potential buyers. It is important to fix, clean or change anything that may cause concern prior to showing your home. Here are some tips on how to prepare your home for a showing:
Kitchen and bathrooms
- Clean all surfaces, including floors.
- Organize countertops.
- Ensure all sinks and faucets work properly.
- Vacuum and dust all areas thoroughly.
- Collect and remove all clutter, including excess furniture.
- Neatly store books, toys and clothes in closets and on shelves.
- Clean all mirrors.
- Open drapes and pull up blinds on windows.
(Includes carpeting, tile, linoleum, hardwood, etc.)
- Remove all dirt and stains.
- Repair any damaged areas.
- If there is hardwood under old carpeting, remove the carpeting and restore the hardwood–a much-desired feature in homes today.
Walls, ceilings, baseboards
- Clean any fingerprints or stains.
- Repair any holes, cracks, chipped paint, ripped wallpaper, water damage.
- If necessary, repaint in neutral or complimentary colours.
- Fix squeaks and any other problems.
- Ensure the handles secure and work properly.
- Clean any stains.
- Clean and repair any cracks.
- Ensure they open easily.
- Check to see there is sufficient light.
- Attend to any broken switches, exposed wiring.
- These should be clean, organized and odour free.
Outside the home
- Ensure all gates open easily.
- Clean all exterior surfaces, including decks, pools, walkways and driveways and make them tidy.
- Depending on the time of year, lawns should be mowed, walkways and driveway cleared of snow, leaves removed, trees pruned, gardens weeded, hedges trimmed.